Thursday, October 20, 2011

Shimmer

The dark island surrounded me, deer grazed behind the blossoming blue bushes and swans swam on the reflecting pond, this island looked peaceful but in fact it was a miserable hellhole for us mystical outsiders with dark, evil powers. I guess the reason I was abandoned here was all because of my powers, if it were not for them, I would be living peacefully with my family, my god forsaken family...
Tears leaked down my elf shaped face, my charcoal eyeliner smudging in the process; I held my small hand up against my face and wiped one tiny, salty tear of my pale cheek, being a mystical creature wasn’t easy, especially when 1. The government are hunting you down, 2. Not everyone is who they seem to be and 3. I was a banshee...
Banshees have existed for thousands of years but they were rarely born as one at the start, it just so happens, I was. I was abandoned by my parents as soon as I turned 10 years old, that was when my powers started to develop, sometimes I would cry all night wailing for the pain in my head to stop, but it never did and it still does, I briefly remember my family but my memories have been hazy since my full change, one thing that I will never forget is the bullying by the normal fairies, while I changed.
 It was a usual day at Mystics Forest; I was playing energetically with my sister Nimmie when a taller, more powerful group of fairies stood over me, they screeched terrifying names at me, shouting at me, calling me an evil gift from God, it was the worst day in my life, it didn’t help either when I arrived home, my parents looked at me with shock, my eyes had turned from a soft green to a dark cloudy... black.
I let my dark blue and black wings stretch out of my body and battered them together quickly, in no time I was soaring lightly through the air, the breeze hit my face and adrenaline rushed into my body, it was one of the best parts of flying, being able to feel the rush of the elements and make a quick escape if you are threatened or in danger.
I landed swiftly on a large grey rock that was lying on the coast shore; it seemed the perfect place o sleep the night especially if I needed to escape as it would act as a great runway. I crouched on the rock and made myself comfortable, wrapping my soft agile wings around me for warmth.
Throughout my life I had noticed that my dreams were real things that happened, gruesome things, I always had nightmares about murders or suicides and would wake up panting, screaming and sweating, begging for my horrible gift to go away, nothing worked though.
I awoke the next morning, panting and screaming just as I predicted, it was really getting on my nerves and sometimes I felt like killing myself, the world wouldn’t really care, I am an outcast that has twenty million dollars hanging over my head if I am brought back, dead to the government. I heard a twig snap and turned around quickly in shock, there stood a man, only it wasn’t just a man, it was a vampire; he spoke softly but darkly “good morning...  Elysia.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment